Nov 11, 2010

Obsession

I think a lot. My brain is always spinning. So with that being said, I forced myself to ask a very serious question.

"Am I obsessed with Deadliest Catch and all that it entails?"

Let me give you some history so you understand why I ask this of myself.

When I was 13, I got my first taste of Hanson. Yes, MMMBop and all that jazz. I was immediately hooked and I scoured the newsstands for any magazine that boasted their image. I loved their sound, what they stood for, and all of their hard work. I would tape their pictures on my wall and daydream about them during school.

Two years later, enter Backstreet boys and *Nsync. Naturally, I just thought they were hot. Sure, I liked their music, but I understood they were fabricated. I bought all of their CDs, and their pictures got put right next to Hanson's on my wall. I scoured the internet searching for any kind of information I could find.

When I was 17, I was all into wrestling. Loved the hot guys, the story lines, etc. Again, tape+pictures=mural of wrestling along with my other pictures.I frequented wrestling news sites for any back ground info.

But when I got married and moved in with my (soon to be ex) husband, that stuff got put away or thrown away, depending on its importance to me.

So my point is this: my entire focus was centered around those bands, groups, and wrestlers. Therefore, I would consider myself "obsessed".

Now along comes Deadliest Catch, and I find myself printing out the "Bering Sea Poem" to hang on my wall, creating a blog, and hanging out on a FB page dedicated to DC all day long. I don't want to talk about anything else. I even wanted to be a greenhorn for Halloween this year (if I would have had enough cash, I would have done it too).

But part of me resists this label. I'm wondering if its because I'm grown up now. Or maybe its the Bering Sea Bad Boys themselves. Their job demands respect. Never before have I seen anything like how brave (or crazy, depending on your POV) and fearless these men are.

They don't care about their appearance, I mean, most of them dress in jeans and t-shirts all the time. Just because there is a camera in their faces, they don't mince words or play up the camera. They do their job to the best of their ability and then go home and struggle with their lives. Its an Everyday Joe type of thing. We all struggle with our jobs, with our family lives, and with vices maybe we shouldn't have. To see men bravely fight that in front of millions of people stirs something up inside of me.

So back to the question, "Am I obsessed with Deadliest Catch?"

Yes, probably.

Is it healthier than boy bands of the 90's? God I hope so.


*Shannon*

2 comments:

Leilani Jordan said...

I think you nailed it with your question. I have asked this question myself, I have answered "NO!" the reason, I personaly do not drool over any of the guys yet I have the highest respect for them. Yet when Phill passed I found myself wanting to remember him like "everyone" else, so I wanted to be different, so I got a tattoo to remember him. I watched the show of his passing intently, held my breath and cried with his sons, not over how or what happened to him. Obsessed with over watching the show?...Yes..Obsessed with the guys?....(Me)..No If you find yourself "Only" on FB to befriend those who talk about the DC or share news, the answer you seek is "yes" But if you find you have real friends on FB because of you (Shannon) and not your username, then "No" you are not obsessed.I can not say the same for a few far fetched die hard fans on FB...(I can explain this later, if you really want to understand) Thanks and have a great day!!
Leilani Jordan FB

Unknown said...

AAAHHHH - you have touched on the very thought of my family when asked about my interest in DC. Why do I like DC? Because it reminds my of family. As one of them said in an episode (Jake Harris I believe) - "a great big disfunctional family". Many of the young deck hands remind me of my own 24 yr old son. I see them going thru things that my son is also going thru and I just want to put my arm around them and encourage or comfort them. I have no family where I am living right now - they are 10+ hrs drive away. The DC Crews have become my family since I have moved and I find no shame in it.