Jan 21, 2011

Something Is Extremely Wrong Here

Aidin and I have vivid dreams. We usually spend our weekends exchanging funny stories about the dreams that we had lately. So since this one is so fresh in my mind, I thought I would share it with you:


I was a greenhorn set to work aboard the Cornelia Marie, and Steve Ward picked me up at the airport. He didn’t talk much, and hardly looked at me except to snort and say, “Those ain’t gonna work.”

He was referring to my blue jeans and boots. Now when I say boots, I don’t mean cowboy boots, or rain boots. I mean girly boots with a thick wedge heel. A few of you saw the picture of the high heels I bought, I’m actually wearing my boots in that picture, just look down.

Boots...no not those! Attached to the jeans. Yes, those boots.
Anyway, my boots are not the point of this story, no matter how much I love them. He dropped me off at the small store in Dutch and told me he would send someone along to pick me up in an hour. I’m not a shopper, I hate shopping, so I was done in 10 minutes, my arms full of rain gear and sweatshirts.

I wasted time talking to the local people, trying to get comfortable, when Josh and Jake Harris walked through the door and herded me outside to the truck. Again, they didn’t say much. I assume they didn’t enjoy the fact a female would be onboard.

Once we got down to the dock, we had to walk down to the end to get to the boat itself. But it wasn’t the Cornelia Marie we all know and love. It was so bizarre. I watched Jake and Josh hop down to the deck and walk across it like nothing was wrong. But trust me, it was wrong.

Wheelhouse? Gone. Pot lauchner? Gone. Sodium Lights? Gone. Shelter deck? Gone.
There was no wheelhouse. None at all. As far as I could tell, there was no galley or anything. The deck was smooth from bow to stern, no shelter deck either in the bow. The other bizarre sighting? No pot launcher. Only the crane was visible as I finally shook my self out of my daze and got onboard.

I stood in the middle of the deck trying to wrap my brain around what I was seeing when Ryan walked up and took my duffel bag for me. “Where are we sleeping?” I asked.

“Over here.”

He led me over to where the wheelhouse would have been, and a small canopy had been rigged to keep a small amount of the rain and waves off of us. In all honesty, it was useless. I remember looking up and thinking, “How do you steer this thing?!”

“How do we launch the pots?” I questioned.

Jake appeared at my side and motioned with his hand to where the pot launcher should have been. A 10 foot hole appeared to have been cut out of the side of the boat. “We push them off. Haven’t you ever done this before?”

“Greenhorn,” I muttered as a reminder. “I don’t see any bins. How do we get the crab into the holds?”

Jake gave me an odd look. “We carry them.”

“We carry snapping, pissed off crab?”

He nodded.

“Great, the Cornelia Marie, catching crabs the hard way.”

And then I promptly got woken up by my son asking for something to drink at 3:30am. Thank god too, because I didn't see any sodium lights and I couldn't figure out how we were going to push pots off the side of the boat and not get caught in the line.

Strange huh? This happens to me often. If you ever have a Deadliest Catch dream, please share it with us!
 
Happy Friday everyone, its finally here! I don't know about the rest of you, but it felt like this one week was 2 weeks.
 
*Shannon*

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't share my dreams... :P
but they are good!

Kimi said...

Sorry I actually LOL'd. Ive had some weird DC dreams, but none that involved a wonky boat. lol.

Anonymous said...

Yeah my dreams. Can't be shared publicly with people lol oops my bad! ;p I can tell you I feel like a creeper lol

Jennifer said...

I had a dream a couple nights ago about Norman Hansen crabbing shirtless. I told him that while I enjoyed the view, he really needed to get his raingear on.

Who knew I was such a spoilsport??

Sacha said...

I got all six past seasons of DC for Christmas so every night I fall asleep watching them. This translates into me dreaming about being on the CM (as she is my fav) quite often.

I'm not lucky enough to have a good 'ol fashioned girl dream though, I am always mothering the crew, cooking hot meals, and bandaging boo boos :o)

I am glad I've never dreamed about a messed up boat though, that would be stressful LOL

Kerry said...

I've had lots but the one that stands out easiest is one where I got a berth on the TB because I was able to successfully tie down the stack with dental floss. Andy was impressed.