Feb 9, 2011

In Memory of Phil Harris

Shannon and I have been fans of the show for a short time but we feel like we've watched the show since the beginning. We laughed when Johnathan hooked a truck to Phil's pot. We cringed when the big wave hit the Wizard. We cried when Jake Anderson's sister passed. But today we're here to honor the man that won the hearts of many people across the world.

We remember him as the carefree, easy-going guy that ragged on his sons and fooled around with his friends and crew members. Phil was the kind of guy that made people want to be his friend. I can only talk about him from what I've seen since I've never had the chance to meet him. I'm going to be respectful for those who still mourn his passing but at the same time I'm going to sit here and rejoice in his life.

He made us laugh with his facial expressions and his weird sayings. Such as "I feel like a one legged man in an ass kicking contest."and "This is bad. This is bad bad." He made us smile when he took such pride in his sons as they were learning the ropes. He also made us laugh with his need to entertain said sons with his catch phrase "crab farts".

My favorite Phil moment was when he went off on Jake and told him he could be an astronaut if he wanted too but he had to earn it. Although I have many wonderful memories that one always sticks in my head. Shannon was the same way. Her two favorite moments were when Phil showed Josh the rock pile and when Phil was showing the boys old family pictures. Simple moments but still memorable.

I always say Josh and Jake are like him. Josh kinda looks like him and Jake kinda acts like him. I'm sure it meant a lot for all three of them to have each other so close for as long as they did. The joining of Phil's sons on the boat showed us another side of Phil. He was still the hard ass captain but he was also the loving dad that wanted the best for his boys.

A year may have gone since his passing but his life still goes on. We as fans and friends still remember his words and his laughter. We will always remember Phil as he was and will never let that memory pass too. His face is etched in our hearts and our minds and we will never forget the fun loving guy that rode motorcycles and built bird houses.

So to everyone, remember Phil Harris as the man we all know and love. He will always be with us and that is where I want him to be. Cheers to you, Phil. *drinks a duck fart with Shannon*

-Aidin

2 comments:

Valorie said...

I love that you decided to go ahead and post a short tribute to the memory of Captain Phil. It was short, sweet and filled with nothing but respect.
Even though I never got to meet him either, I feel certain he is smiling and thanking you for the kind words and for keeping his memory alive.
He was a strong-willed, opinionated man that didn't take "bull" off of anyone so I honesty think he would've been disappointed, and probably a little angry if you had let the negative people and their harsh, judgemental comments stop you from paying tribute to a wonderful son, father, friend, captain, companion, and the list could go on forever...but first and foremost to the incredible human being he was, definitely a rare breed.
One thing is certain...this world would be a much better place if we had more people in it that not only "talked the talk but walked the walk" like he did when it came to being an honest, hardworking man full of honesty, courage, integrity, concern and most of all love.
Love for his family, his friends and his fans. A love that he was never ashamed to display openly or fear that it would show weakness. By willingly sharing that kind, loving part of himself with us, he let us have a glimpse of the man...and not just the television star.
I heard him say in several interviews that in his mind he didn't see himself as a "celebrity," but just a regular man that got lucky. And he always reminded himself and his boys that they were fishermen before "Deadliest Catch" and when the lights, cameras and reporters faded away they would still be fishermen.
It still breaks my heart every time I think of him saying that, and knowing that he is gone and won't be able to go back to the simplicity of doing what he loved so much once the "limelight" does fade...on the bright side, he definitely left us at the top of his game. Leaving a legacy his family and friends can be so proud of.
Thankfully he never let the "celebrity" go to his head and we as fans felt like he truly cared about us, showed each and every person respect and kindness even after a long, grueling day of press, interviews, and signing autographs. Everyone that did have the honor of meeting him all speak so highly of him and the way he treated others. It was obvious he loved what he did, loved his life and loved all of those in it without conditions or expectations...only wanting what was best for those he cared about, and was always willing to go the extra mile or do what he could to help those around him reach their full potential. The fact that he was a "star" was just an added bonus. At the end of the day, he was just Phil...and I for one will never forget him, his "Phil-isms" or the fact that he left a huge footprint on this earth and in hearts everywhere for being with us for such a short time.
R.I.P. Captain Phil...you will never be forgotten, and as hard as it is to imagine...you are loved and respected more today than the day you left us because all of us have grown to appreciate what a truly one-of-a-kind, amazing man we were blessed to have had in our lives. You are and will always be missed...there is an empty spot in our hearts where your smile will always shine and your laughter will always echo. ~XoXoX~

LORI HOLDER-SMITH said...

I don't think the bite will happen you know why,that is I knew Our Capt. Phil Harris personally.I was introduced to him by my 1st. cousin
JB Turner {with to whom was one of the lead men to help put in the whole 815 mile Alaskan Pipeline back in the late 1960's & 1970's}.
Phil & I became very Close Freinds as back in 2009 & 2010 King & Opilio Crab Seasons he wanted me to
come aboard his boat as half owner of the Cornelia Marie.At the time I didn't get the chance due to my 1st. cousin was killed in a Semi accident along with my other 1st. cousin & his Sister.But my Darling Phil & I always talk 3 to 4 times a week on up until my very Close & Gorgeous Freind in which I was notified of his own passing away on 10th. February 2010.This totally Broke My Heart,because every time phil & I would say before we hung-up was that we truly Cared & Loved each other very much.So,don't worry about me telling any of my Freinds about this because they along with my Extened Family,my immediate Family,along with my Dear Husband knew everything about Our Capt. Phil & I.All except his Family,Fellow Crab Fishermen& Other Freinds of his until after his very 1st. Anniversary after his passing away as I had Promised him all along,so I did go by My ever Gorgeous Phil's Request.Yes!! Everyone does know very much by now.For none of them has no idea what we both Meant to each other,I was very much of a True Freind to him as he was to me as well.We both kept it a Secret!! all the way until it was Officially suppose to be told by the both of us when I along with my Cousin was going to meet him up in Dutch Harbor,Alaska the 3rd. week of September we were going up there by Corporate Jet that a Close Freind of my 1st.Cousin was going to let him use for 3 weeks as a favor that was owed back to him.So,you or anyone will see that Capt. Phil Harris & I were fixing to make me a Cook aboard Cornelia Marie Permanent!! That was how Close we both were.I every single day that goes by that I don't think of my Dear Cousin JB & My Darling Phil.My Heart,Thoughts & Prayers goes out to all of hi Family,Fellow Crab Fishermen,& Other Freinds that was in his life.
God Bless You & Your Entire Family.Yes!! at times I do Cry!!! for my ever Dear Capt.Phil as he had said that he was to me.Always,
Catch61pl.