Jul 20, 2011

Crabber of the Week

I can admit freely, that it took me a long time to warm up to Captain Keith Colburn. At first glance he seemed grumpy, caustic, and unfair. What changed my mind?

THE WAVE.

You know which one I'm talking about. Season 5, during opilio season, while the crew scrambled to cover the stack with a tarp to keep the freezing spray to a minimum, a HUGE wave almost swept them off the deck, injuring most of the crew and scaring the bejebebes out of Keith.

I've watched all the seasons, I've seen accidents happen, and I've seen the captains get shaken up, but nothing prepared me for the guilt etched on Keith's face.

I'm not usually this long winded on these kinds of posts. I feature a crabber and then move on, but I feel the need to bring some extra attention to Keith. It seems this week he's gotten tons of negative attention, to his fight with the cameraman, to the news that The Wizard got sued by an ex-deckhand after he fell down the stairs to the engine room.

Keith is a great captain. He's a hard captain, that is no in doubt, but he has his reasons for running his boat the way he does. He has bills, he has responsibilities, as does his crew. So to see him slammed really irks me.

I hope to one day get the chance to meet him, to shake his hand and express my respect for his hard work and determination, and my hope that the public keep their judgements to themselves

*Shannon*

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ya know Shan, I have to agree with you. I don't always agree with how he handles things (exmaple - his recently aired fight with the camera man) - but he is a sensative guy down deep.....he does have a good heart. We all have our short-comings, his just happen to be smack dab in front of us and Disco loves to show it.....