May 31, 2010

How Green Are You?

For people who know me, I drive, a lot. And when I drive, I think, a lot. I think about random things: my son, the book I'm writing, traffic, billboards, and yes, even Deadliest Catch.

Especially Deadliest Catch.

Just the other day, I was in the car listening to some music, and I heard a song that reminded me of DC. My brain enjoyed this little detour and I began wondering about the captains and their thinking process, and this is the question that came to mind:

Why, if the best age for a Greenhorn is late teens, early twenties, do Captains hire older Greenhorns?


This really bothered me. I've been rewatching the earlier seasons, and I continually hear the Skippers grumble about older greenhorns. I don't get it. Older greenhorns are particularly set in their ways, they are prideful, and most, it seems, don't like being the low man on the totem pole.

While the younger horns, are willing to be molded, to be shaped into deckhands, eager to learn, and willing to be the butt of the joke. Well, some.

This isn't to say that this is true for all greenhorns. And I certainly don't know each Captain's thinking process in hiring men for his boat, not to mention, there might not be a whole lot of young men around Dutch Harbor willing to risk their lives on the Bering Sea.
Captain Keith from The Wizard posted a great blog on his website about how greenhorns can be hired. http://www.crabwizard.com/captains-log/2007/6/19/the-toughest-year-greenhorn-hell.html

It's times like this I wish I could sit the Captains down and ask these questions. I don't care about asking about the crab, or how dangerous the job is, I've heard all their answers to those questions. It's the random and odd questions I like to ask.


Cuz, well, I'm odd. Let's face it.

*Shannon*

No comments: