Oct 15, 2010

Sometimes I Gotta Put My Foot Down

I promised in my first post on this blog that I would not dedicate another post to Phil's passing, but I find I must break my oath.

My theory on my promise is this: Once a person passes away, I feel like they should be left alone. Having multiple memorials and events in a deceased person's name just seems like a way to drag the family through more grief.

I speak from experience.

Yes, I understand Phil was mourned by many, loved by all, but he was in essence a family man. He loved his boys, and Jake and Josh loved their father. To continually rub Phil's death in their face is unsightly to me.

So this brings me to the reason for my post today: Phil has officially been laid to rest across the Bering Sea. Jake and Josh have spread his ashes and they are moving on, as the rest of us should. Does this mean we shouldn't remember him? No. Does this mean we should stop doing creepy things like plowing his face in a corn field? Yes.

I do realize this post is my opinion, and that not everyone will share it or agree with me. But when we say RIP Phil, really, we need to remember that means Rest in Peace, and to allow him that. Phil led a hard life, with rough choices and scary moments, and now he is finally able to take a deep breath, climb on his bike, and ride to his heart's content.

*Shannon*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to say everytime I see a post on facebook from Phil Harris, it creeps me out a little. Who ever is running that page should list it as a fan page or something. Don't just continue to use his name.